30 July 2017

It was a grand ol' time!

By Jan M. Nick, PhD, RNC-OB, CNE, ANEF, professor at Loma Linda University School of Nursing, Loma Linda, California, USA.

Jan Nick
I wasn’t ready to start the 28th International Nursing Research Congress. I had come a week before the congress convened and travelled all over Ireland with my husband and friends. I was having too much fun and didn’t want it to stop. Coming from California where it is hot, dry, and brown during summer months, I wanted to experience cool weather, light rain, green fields, sheep, and beautiful scenery. I was not disappointed. So, with a twinge of sadness, I said goodbye to vacation and hello to congress.

Sitting on the bridge where John Wayne sat during a reflective
scene of “The Quiet Man.”
Neolithic site with portal stones and stone cap.
Everywhere you look there are rocks!
 

Arriving at The Convention Centre Dublin, I was pleased with its light and airy entrance. Registration was efficient, and I looked for the room where the opening ceremony was to be held. Convention Centre staff members were everywhere, actively looking for opportunities to help us find rooms for various events and presentations. I have never experienced having so many staff members available to help attendees. I felt calm, cared for, and saw excellence in action.

Light and airy venue.
Compared to previous research conventions I have attended, I noticed a shift in the type of research presented. I saw a significant increase in global research, bench research, and RCT-based research. There were also a lot of presentations that addressed the use of technology in healthcare. My colleague verified what I observed. These observations thrilled my soul as we are nurse scientists who want and deserve strong research to guide our practice. Meeting so many nurse scientists these past five days was a sign that our science is maturing and makes me proud.

Today, Sunday, was a big day for me. In the morning, I presented my research and made connections to arrange for more global sites for Phase II of my research. I attended my colleagues’ presentations and viewed their posters, consulted with STTI Global Initiatives representatives about their desire for chapters to support the United Nations-STTI relationship, and then attended the “Best of Irish” Cultural Celebration at Trinity College. There was good food, lively music, Irish dancers, and audience attempts at Irish dancing.

And now, as I finish writing this on Sunday night, I am very happy I came. It has been an enriching experience—as promised—that has rewarded me with new knowledge, renewed vigor, and an expanded network of colleagues, and I have had the opportunity to convey my research passion and share my findings. The people and the experiences make me want to come back for more. Well worth the time, money, and effort, the return on investment was high.

To access information about Nick’s presentation, including slides, click here.